Sunday, June 15, 2008

I made it to Piobbico!!!













I am in Piobbico!

As I prepared to leave my hotel in Bologna, I stopped by the complimentary breakfast buffet, expecting muffins, bagels & coffee. However, to my pleasant surprise, I was greeted by meats, cheeses, eggs, bacon, pastries, cereals, and fresh fruit – any coffee drink I could ever want and over a dozen types of juice. They really do breakfast here!

Rachel & I then headed over to the train station where we boarded our train to Pesaro. The train ride took about two hours and as we got closer to our destination, we began to see green rolling hills, crops growing and even a castle! We arrived and the moment we stepped outside we could feel the change in temperature. It was a glorious 70 degrees with a light breeze off the Adriatic Sea. Over the next few hours, we began to meet other singers who had traveled far and wide to be here for the summer festival. By 4pm, we were all in Pesaro and ready to head to Piobbico. We boarded a bus and drove a little over an hour to our quaint new home away from home.

My eyes were glued out the window the entire ride because it was absolutely gorgeous scenery. There was so much GREEN – I could hardly believe it *especially after living in Arizona. What I was seeing out my window seemed like a scene from a movie! Finally we arrived in Piobbico (which I realized you pronounce with a first syllable accent: Piòbbico). Members from the Scuola Italia and the owners of our apartments greeted us. I was taken to my apartment and given a grand tour! It was a delightful experience because my very energetic landlord told me everything I ever wanted to know about this place – in Italian! Lei non parla L’inglese.

My apartment is fantastic! I have a kitchen, laundry, living room, bedroom and bathroom all to myself. I am right next to the brook that runs through town and I can hear the running water from my bed! I met up with the others for a reception hosted by the school where many members of the town greeted us. Then, we ended the evening with a lovely dinner at the local ristorante.

This place is like a dream. If I wasn’t seeing it, I couldn’t believe it. Everyone I’ve met is very friendly and I am so glad to be here. Sunday we are off, just settling in. Some of us are planning to go hiking. Then Monday we start!

1 comment:

jackie said...

Sounds so fun! My sister spent a year in Italy and loved it. Looking forward to reading all about your adventures. Also I couldn't get to the facebook pics, do you have another place you post pics?
~jackie b