Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mignon Lieder: Kennst du da Land, by Hugo Wolf

Mignon: Kennst du das Land

"Do you know the land where the lemons blossom, where oranges glow golden among dark leaves?  A soft wind breathes from the blue sky, the silent myrtle there and the tall laurel.  

Do you know it?  [Do you know it?]  There, there I long to go with you my love.

Do you know the house?  Its roof rests on pillars, the hall shines, the room gleams, and marble statues stand and look at me - 'What have they done to you my poor child?'

Do you know it?  [Do you know it?]  There, there I long to go with you my protector.

Do you know the mountain and its cloudy paths, where the mule seeks its way in the midst; in caves the old brood of the dragons dwells, the rock falls sheer and the torrent over it.

Do you know it?  [Do you know it?]  There, there lies our way; oh father, let us go.  [Let us go.]

No comments: